So, Girl's Camp. I realize it has been almost 3 weeks since, but I don't want to forget it. When I finally realized that I was going to be in charge this year, despite my best efforts to find another, I didn't know what to think. I had little to no experience camping; I only went to Girl's Camp myself 1 time and stayed in air-conditioned cabins with a pool; and it was going to be outside all day in the last week of July. One of my sayings though is "Everything happens for a reason." And, while I was imagining a great burden on myself and my family, while already having 2 demanding church callings between Kevin and I, it turned out great. I had no idea that I even liked being outside that much. I think the whole Stake was praying for cool July weather, and we were blessed. While there were a few hot moments, we had lots of shade and many breezes. I also couldn't have done it without Erin. She was amazing. Without really being called, she was my co-director, and between the 2 of us our ward was organized and well prepared. Without her calls to remind me that I might want to start packing or without her vast experience camping, it could have been a disaster. As it turns out, I LOVE Girl's Camp. I would do it every year, as long as I didn't have a newborn. (Bishop, pretend that you never read this...) :) I had so much fun with the girls. I really enjoyed painting our awesome flag (which can now be seen in the YW's room, although some of it got washed away in a little rain), and a lion on some cardboard or our skit (which actually had a pretty good story line: Danielle and the Lion, with gum for the lions). Our girls all got along, took care of each other, and were fairly clean. We have a few funny stories, but I will share just one. One evening while sitting around the campfire with Erin and Sarah and Emily from 2nd ward, a large locust came flying at them. (Previously, a couple of the 2nd ward girls had been torturing this locust on the other side of camp.) Apparently, Sarah really has a problem with locusts. Erin tried her best (wearing gloves from working with the fire) to pick it up and throw it across camp, but every time she picked it up, it would turn around in mid-air and fly back at Sarah and Emily's vacant chairs. We then contemplated the fire. We could burn it, as it wouldn't leave, but that seemed a little inhumane. So, instead I suggested that Erin use a iron skillet-ish thing from the fire and put on top of it. However, instead of putting it curved side down which would have smashed the locust and killed it quickly, she placed it curved side up, so the locust was trapped inside of a burning skillet thing. Needless to say, the locust went nuts. I yelled "We have to kill it now!," Erin moved the skillet thing and I stomped as fast as I could. You may have had to be there, but it was HILARIOUS, and a little sad. That's about it for Girl's Camp. I just want to say THANK YOU, again to those of you who helped bring things out, take things home, pack their girls, and especially to ERIN for getting things going and organized. Girl's Camp was truly great.
No comments:
Post a Comment